Exclusive: Why Nigerian youths need to invest in online business
To many people, online business is another method of scam and they don’t want to take the risk of wasting their time and money on what will never work for them. There are many people who have earned a decent living from online businesses along. You can also start yours and make as much as 60k monthly.
Many Nigerian youths these days enjoy using their smart phones and laptops but very few are actually making a decent, legal income from it. When I talk about online businesses, I don’t mean internet fraud or selling hard drugs online. I mean legit businesses like blogging, freelancing and many more.
Nigerian youths have proven to be smart and ready to work. However, when they see their peers engaging in illegal schemes, they quickly dive in because they are making money.
There’s a popular saying: “God’s time is the best”. Yes, God time is the best but what if that time is now and you are not using it. Those who do illegal businesses online will always face the wrath of karma sooner or later. The saddest part is that many of them may not know the cause.
Well, enough chits chat and let’s dive into our main discussion. In this post, I am going to show you some requirements, various online businesses and why you should start to invest in them.
The best thing about online businesses is that they require little or no startup capital to begin with and you can easily setup yours from the comfort of your home.
Why you should invest in an online business
There are many reasons why you should invest your time and money in an online business but I am going to pick out the most important ones.
1. Cheap and easy to start up: Online businesses are the easiest to start up. You have all the requirements around you. With at least 5k or No K, you can start up an online business from the comfort of your home. For example, Lindaikejisblog started with no naira at all. She didn’t pay for anything when she started her blog.
The only thing she had to pay for was subscriptions which we all do already. While she was on a free platform and domain name, she made more than 100k monthly until she finally bought a domain and moved to a paid platform. Other examples of people that started for free are: Jide Ogunsanya (ogbongeblog), Bella naija, mazinoweb, infoguideafrica and many more.
2. Economic state: Perhaps the only possible way to cure this economic epidemic in Nigeria is to start an online business. There are many complaints of “no money in the country”. Why can’t you bring the money to the country from other countries? The only way to do so is to start an online business. On social media, you can contact thousands of Indians, Americans and many more. Sell your product or services and gain money right into Nigeria through check, wire transfer, paypal or payoneer.
3. Be self made: Yes, I said it before and I can say it again. You can start a career around online businesses. You can become an investor and be your own boss. When a professor dies, his whole certificate becomes useless but when an investor dies, his child or family member can take over. You will become a self made boss through an online business. If you are lucky, you can come in contact with a high profile individual that can help take you higher.
4. Confidence: For those who have lost their confidence or never had it, online business can give you just the spark you need. With online business, you are in potential reach of thousands of people. IF you have a blog, there is a possibility that someone from Brazil, Pakistan, USA, Uk, Peru or India is reading what you are typing. That can boost your confidence by 150%. Especially when they comment on it.
5. You gain more knowledge: With the vast amount of information on the internet, an online business can give you just the knowledge you need and more than you need. You learn different things about almost everything and can even start a platform yourself.
6. It beats education: Don’t quote me wrong. Education is very important for you. What I mean is that when you take a look at some of the biggest men in the world today: Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and many more, they are richer and powerful than those doctors who spent 7 years reading hell. Why? Because they followed their passion and package themselves.
You need to go to school to learn and acquire more knowledge. Also’ the certificate is equally important in case of any opportunity in future. But to be more successful, try combining your certificate with your talent and see.
Requirements to start an online business
Like I said, the requirements are not so much. Below is a simple list of some of the things you need to start an online business.
• Information (search engines)
• Social media
• Little capital (in some cases)
Types of online businesses you can start
1. Blogging: This seems to be the most abundant and lucrative online business in Nigeria. However, many people often give up after they don’t make as much as they expected. Rome was not built in a day.
It takes months and Months of practice and consistency to start earn an above-average salary from blogging. With features like Google adsense, bloggers are now enjoying a lot of benefits from blogging.
You can start a blog for free on blogger or pay anywhere between N1500 – N7000 to start on wordpress. To enjoy blogging, you need to be consistent, unique and original.
2. Freelancing: This is another mode of earning online. I love this because it is suitable for every youth. You simply get paid for what you do. For example: if you are graphic designer, a foreigner may contact you from a freelance platform and pay for your service.
The least you can earn from one task is $5. Now imagine you multiply by 3 clients daily.That’s $15 per day and not all will be $5, some may be $15 per task and some may be as high as $100 per task. Make your research on freelancing and joina platform to start earning money.
3. Affiliate marketing: Many people Know about affiliate marketing but few really make money because they don’t follow the right steps. Affiliate marketing is when you get paid to promote a product or service. If someone buys that product from your affiliate link, you earn a commission. Currently NNU is the best affiliate program in Nigeria.
You can also join Jumia, konga, udemy and many others. You earn a particular commission on any product or service you promote.
4. Youtubing: This is another legit method of making money. Billions of people use YouTube any content can go viral on YouTube so far you just give it a catching title an d target the right audience. Those that post YouTube videos earn a good income from the ads that display from the videos.
You can also start a YouTube channel from your phone and post your own videos so far it is not copyright. When you match the requirement to make money on YouTube, you will start earning amazing income.
5. App development: App development is an amazing way to make money online. I really love this method because of the huge amount of people that download apps daily. Google shows adsense on your app and you earn per view or click. Many bloggers also turn their blogs to apps and earn double income from it.
Other legit ways are:
• Sell ebooks (see mine)
• Sell on amazon
• Sell on ebay
• Writing for blogs and businesses
• SEO services
• Email marketing
• Bulk sms
• Drop shipping
• Domain flipping